Nobody is perfect – least of all me

I am a big fan of Will Marre and look forward to having the opportunity to participate in person in one of his seminars.

My post today is a section of his latest newsletter. Its good advice for me and I hope you enjoy it too


Nobody is perfect . . . at least not by our personal standard of perfection. The most we get in life in anything that we seek is 80% of what we believe we want.  If we are getting 100%, it won’t last. But 80% is a lot.  It’s all we need to be happy and loving.

When we fall in love all that we see is the 80% that we are crazy about.  We ignore the other 20% of annoying habits.  We create the illusion that we have found the perfect person. This wonderful illusion drives us to constantly ask ourselves what can I do to make this person happy. We become faucets of kindness, patience and thoughtfulness. We literally create an ecology of love.

But over time, when the love-fog caused by dopamine and serotonin lifts due to the realities and challenges of life, it is common to start focusing on the 20% of the perceived flaws, faults and imperfections of our beloved.  It isn’t that they have changed. Rather it is how we view them that has changed.  Instead of a faucet, we become a drain.  The whirlpool effect is caused by either silent or vocal judgments, impatience, and criticism.  And what was once sacred can become profane.  Instead of asking “What can I do to make the person I love happy?” we focus on what they can do to make us happy.

Love is verb.  It is what we do that creates love.  The feeling of love is the outcome of a choice to be irrationally positive about the people you deeply love.  Nobody wants to be viewed realistically.  We all want to be valued.  We all need people in our lives who see our highest and best self. And we need to see the highest and best of others. Committing to love someone’s 80% of their best self, and choosing to ignore the 20% of their unfinished self, is a sacred choice.

One last thing.  Finding someone who is 80% perfect for you as a friend or partner is neither easy nor simple.  There’re many people who aren’t even 20% perfect for you.

So, choose carefully.  But as John Legend sings someone’s imperfections are likely to be perfect just for you.

Be the love you seek.



Author: Lynne Strong

I am a 6th generation farmer who loves surrounding myself with optimistic, courageous people who believe in inclusion, diversity and equality and embrace the power of collaboration. I am the founder of Picture You in Agriculture. Our team design and deliver programs that inspire pride in Australian agriculture and support young people to thrive in business and life

%d bloggers like this: